7 Reasons You Can’t Hear God’s Voice

Posted: August 24, 2010 in Christ, Life
Tags: , , ,

“My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.” – Jesus

In the context of Jesus’ statement, this was an easy thought to grasp.  Shepherds in the day knew exactly what Jesus was talking about.  In all of their caring for, leading, disciplining, protecting, and loving as shepherds, they knew that their followers (literally, the sheep) knew their voice, trusted their voice, and followed their voice more than anyone elses.

Thinking through that scripture this morning I wanted to share a few reasons why I often struggle to hear God’s voice:

1. My own voice is too loud.
    When I’m doing all the talking, sometimes I can envision God trying to get a word in edgewise.  It’s hard to hear God’s words when the only voice echoing in your ears is your own.
  2. I tune Him out.
    Have you ever been in the middle of a discussion with someone and grown frustrated with them because they stopped listening to you minutes ago in order to process their own answer?  Have you ever done that – tuned out someone who was talking to you while you tried to word your own response?  Have you ever done that to God?
  3. I don’t want to hear His voice.
    I’m just being honest here.  Sometimes, especially when I already know the answer, I chose not to listen to Him.  It’s kind of like the person who knows they need to go to the doctor because they think they have an issue.  The reason they don’t go to the doctor is because he will only confirm that the issue is real.  Many times I don’t listen to His voice because I don’t want to, the problem is, I already know the “issue” is real.
  4. I want to listen to someone else’s voice.
    Sometimes it’s not that I don’t want to hear God’s voice, it’s that I don’t want to hear ANYONE’S voice.  Lock me in a room, turn on the TV, shut off the lights, and world … leave me alone.  All of you!  This is NOT what God meant when He said, “Be still and know that I’m God!”  In order to do that, you have to listen to God in the stillness, not shut Him and everyone else out.
  5. I don’t recognize His voice.
    Have you ever been in a large crowd – a football game, a concert, a huge parade with people, bands, floats, etc.?  If you have, then you know what it’s like when someone you didn’t expect to see there is shouting at you from across the crowd.  You can’t quite see them, you can barely hear them, and because you’re not expecting them, you don’t recognize them.  Ever done that to God?  Maybe been in the middle of a situation that you never expected God to show up in, and when He did, you didn’t recognize Him?
  6. I don’t know His voice.
    Or how about this, have you spent years with someone that you just knew would be your best friend for the rest of your life and then lost touch with them over the years?  My 20 year high school reunion is this week and I’ve enjoyed watching posts on Facebook back and forth from the Perry Meridian Class of 1990 (Go Falcons!)  But honestly, if I heard the voice of someone that I was super close to 20 years ago but haven’t seen since June of 1990, I wouldn’t know their voice … or them.
  7. He’s silent.
    There is another answer that I want to mention here, and it’ not always an easy answer to hear.  Sometimes, God isn’t using His voice to communicate to you.  Sometimes, silence is His best way to either get your attention or communicate with you.  Have you ever experienced the silent treatment from someone you love?  If so, were they communicating through their silence?

The fact that God chooses to speak to me is enough to blow me away.
The fact that He longs to speak with me is more than I can comprehend.
The fact that I often miss His voice because of one of these reasons?  That leaves me speechless.

Comments
  1. Jeff Armstrong says:

Really enjoyed this brother:) Hope all is well with you. Mike tells me that the Lord is doing great things with and thru you. May the Lord continue to shine His light thru you and show you His favor.

Your Brother,
    Jeff Armstrong

2. sindi says:

God is good all the time he makes impossable situation to be possible

3. nengi says:

thanks for the blogg…struggling with hearing the Lords voice right now, maybe he is silent, never heard it, dont know if i will recognise it, but i am trusting that he has promised to direct all who trust in him.

4. Peter says:

can you guys please pray for me coz i feel like i hardened my heart and no i cant feel love… I really want to feel Gods love but all can see are my wrongs and my sin is so heavy its tryin to force to think ungodly thoughts and i know i need to be saved but for some reason i cant feel a change. I NEED A MIRACLE ….. AMEN JESUS

• PJ says:

HI PETER, SOMETIMES YOU ARE NOT GOING TO FEEL IT ,SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO WALK BY FAITH NOT BY WHAT YOU FEEL OR SEE,(PHILIP 4:13).DO WHAT YOU KNOW YOU ARE TO DO IN OBEDIENCE TO GODS WORD. NOT WHAT YOU FEEL IN YOUR HEART ,YOUR HEART WILL TRICK YOU INTO SIN ,IF YOU HAVE SIN IN YOUR LIFE GET IT OUT ,STOP RIGHT AWAY ASK GOD TO FORGIVE YOU AND REPENT. THINK HOW MUCH GOD LOVES YOU, HE DIED ON THE CROSS FOR YOU ,READ ROM 8 YOU ARE RIGHTEOUS IN JESUS YOU ARE FAR BETTER THAN WHAT YOU FEEL YOU ARE ,HE SEES YOU WHITE AS SNOW ,WE ARE ALL SANCTIFIED BY THE BLOOD OF JESUS ,JUST REPENT AND DON’T DO IT AGAIN. ALOUD GOD TO FILL YOU UP WITH HIM, THE BIBLE SAYS TO WAIT UPON THE LORD HE HAS HIS OWN TIME BUT HE IS NEVER LATE HE’LL COME DON’T LISTEN TO YOUR THOUGHTS IF YOU ARE NOT 100% SURE GOD IS LEADING DON’T MOVE DO WHAT YOU KNOW FROM HIS WORD AND WAIT FOR HIM ,READ PRAY AND FAST DON’T LISTEN TO SATAN AND HE WILL FLEE AWAY YOU HAVE TO PASS THE TEST .
      I’LL PRAY THAT GOD WILL GIVE YOU THE STRENGTH .GO FOR IT

5. Taco says:

i wanna hear from god

6. Sunday says:

I want to hear from God but never do. I have been saved for 2 yrs and still can’t hear Him. People claim to hear him all the time but I can’t. It seems like other people are more special to Him. I just need to hear His voice, I want to so bad… but how do I decipher between my voice and His? And I want a real answer, not a answer that doesn’t answer my question. How do I decipher between the two. Don’t say you have to listen because I do and still nothing. Everyone says that God is a good God and a loving awesome God, but than why does He play these mind games with us. Why doesn’t he just speak to me, why do I have to drive myself crazy just to get no answer. If He really loved me, He would speak. Why does a loving God ignore us. All His ignoring just makes me feel like a failure at Christianity, like I’m not special enough to join the club. I am seriously thinking of giving up and going back into the world because I’m starting to realize that no matter what I do I will never measure up.

• ausiefemale says:

Hey I just wanna encourage you guys with things that’ve been happening in my life… I never used to be able to hear God, but as I continually focused on Jesus and denied my own selfish wants that’s when God began to heal and change my heart… The reason most of us can’t hear God is because of our broken hearts, because our damaged hearts disconnect us from God, and we ALL (myself included) have a warped view of the character of God, when I opened my heart and made myself vulnerable to him he came in and let me experience his Love and healed an set me free from many past hurts. What we need to understand is that our past traumas and hurts are going to shape our view of God, but the more we allow ourselves to experience God in our alone time with him, the clearer our perspective of him will become. In getting to know him and his heart toward us, that also allows us to really know ourselves… Because we reflect an image of him. Just 1 question to challenge everyone here… What image of him do you reflect to other people…?
      Bless you all. Have a great day. :)

I alone know the plans I have for you, plans to bring you prosperity and not disaster, plans to bring about the future you hope for. (Jeremiah 29:11 GNT)

• Xyroe says:

Don’t give up on Him. God has a certain way for what He does and He has a plan for everyone. So maybe you just aren’t meant to hear Him while other people are. What I suggest though is to just keep on having faith in Him and maybe you will hear his voice someday.

• kam75 says:

God doesn’t talk to people
      God speaks thru bible
      Not to people directly
      If God did why do we need the bible ?
      We wouldn’t

7. susan says:

When God seem distance, you may feel that he is angry with u or is disciplining you for some sin. Infact, sin does disconnect us from intimate fellowship with God. We grieve God’s Spirit and quench our fellowship with him by disobedience, conflict with others, busyness, friendship with the world and other sin. But often this feeling of abandonment from God has nothing to do with sin. It is a test of faith. One we all must face. We must love, trust, obey and worship God even when no sence of his presence or visible evidence of his work in our life.

8. felix says:

It is really wonderful & beautiful to hear the heartfelt pouring of true feelings from people. My little advice to those of us feeling unheard or unspoken to by GOD is, please go study the life of Abraham who for years sort after a GOD he never knew & even when he finally found HIM for some years he did not hear from HIM but he didnt give up but sort & followed HIM until HE spoke to him again. Elijah had the same problem trying to identify GOD in various forms until HE came in a still peaceful voice.

9. Xyroe says:

The only reason why I found this site is because I was wondering how people go about hearing God because one morning, I just woke up and I started hearing Him. Since then, I have been able to converse with Him regularly and have been wondering why I could do that. I have asked Him, but He never answers that question. For that reason, I have been trying to find out why. I haven’t found anything yet except that I have a role to fill in the future that may have to do with it.

10. Mduduzi says:

Thnaks alot….i gues il neva hear him speak to me…;(

11. JP says:

Severely discouraged.

12. Emmanuel Echu says:

Goodwork

13. Judy says:

Wow, I’m speechless. I feel like I just heard God speaking through you. Thank you.

14. Darlene says:

My family has grown and our newest addition is a special needs baby. We were hit by a tornado were rebuilding depleted our savings then legal fees and medical expenses on baby. We need to get a bigger place and funds to clear our debts and reopen horse therapy charity. Non of our requests
    Are for personal gain. They are needs to help baby and community with charity. I am praying it is a need and not a want. I M trying to listen but do not under stand. Email circlekhorse@aol.com

15. Kauwela says:

in all honesty, all my life has been about struggle and suffering. One problem after another. God has always been someone I believed in, at the time I may not have had a relationship with him, and till this day i still struggle to actually submit to that relationship with God fully. But finally after a horrible break up, God got my attention. I submitted, attended church regularly, attended bible studies, volunteer work, conferences, I was in my bible every single day, but even during my time of commitment to him I never once felt or heard him. Now..when I need him the most, now when i’m going through the most difficult thing i’ve ever had to face in my life, you would think he would want to make himself known, show himself to be real? but nothing. I’m beginning to think that he’s not interested in anything that concerns me. its like… i hear other people all the time. God is great he never fails but all i know is since i was a little kid its been one disaster after another, and every time i think maybe this is it, im finally gonna be okay, im finally gonna make it and be happy, then in a blink of an eye its gone. no reasons, no explanations, nothing. but i’m suppose to feel encouraged? im suppose to trust? I prayed in detail, specifics since i was 17 years old about the kind of life partner i wanted, the kind of family life i wanted. 2 years ago i thought i am so blessed to have the man i have always prayed for i mean down to specific personality traits, mannerisms and ethics and i thought i am so blessed to be apart of a family that truly loves, and supports one another(my spouses family) but in one false swoop its all gone. and all anyone can tell me is God needs to know he is first in your life?! seriously? He has a better plan for you? God will never disappoint you? this was like a kid in a candy store who finally got that lollipop they have been begging for only for the kid to lick it twice and someone to come and take it away from right out of your hands. it sucks! I have prayed many, many, many times for so many different things, people, situations, but this was a prayer i was consistent and specific with through all of these years. now… i don’t know. anything. I need god to talk to me, i need to hear him, to feel his presence, to know his plan…but nothing. through all of this i still continue to go to church and be active in serving, and bible studies and seminars but i have to be honest. i am so ready to throw in the towel!! i am so ready to just give up. im just as bad now as i was not knowing him, not going to church or seminars. my heart is becoming hateful, resentful and closed. i been trying so so so hard not to let that happen but with nothing to go on, how can i keep any type of hope?? other people have hope because they have testimonies that they have experienced. i have disappointments, one after another after another. it almost makes me feel like why am i here? i don’t know people. thanks for reading i know its long but…im just wondering, is he even there? here? where ever?